John Blue Jr. was a native of Scotland County and in 1919 he began a continuing association with the farm implement manufacturing firm founded by his father in Laurinburg before the turn of the century. Following a rule laid down by Blue's father that all products bearing the John Blue Company name be produced entirely by the company, it eventually became imperative for the firm to move nearer the source of its raw materials, and in 1945 the John Blue Company moved its headquarters to Huntsville, Alabama.
Though living in Alabama, Mr. Blue remained close to his native Laurinburg, and particularly to St. Andrews in its formative years. His generosity has been recognized earlier by the naming of the bookstore, post office, and snack bar area of the College Union as a memorial to his parents, John and Flora McKinnon Blue. Two distinguished scholarships have been established, one in his own name and one in the name of his wife, Mrs. Anne White Blue Tucker.
There is worldwide recognition in the variety and quality of agricultural implements that bear the John Blue name. It is altogether fitting and appropriate that the name be further perpetuated in this outstanding facility at St. Andrews.